Last year we failed to harvest any nectarines or peaches in spite of both trees having flowered. Both trees succumbed to peach leaf curl which is a fungal problem.
This year we decided to take precautions. On researching it seemed that we had two options, to either cover the trees from November until May or spray with Bordeaux Mix. Covering a free standing, pot-grown tree isn't an easy option and means that natural pollination is less likely so although we don't like spraying we decided that the Bordeaux Mix treatment was the only option.
Well I am disappointed to say that this hasn't worked as both the peach and nectarine trees are affected as badly as they were last year - if anything the nectarine is worse.
After all the blossom on the nectarine and my diligent attempts at hand pollination I was hopeful of at least one fruit but it has turned out to be a forlorn hope!
Advice is that stripping off affected leaves can cut down chances of reinfection next year - well I did this last year and it seems to have had little effect. It looks as though some sort of covering will be needed next year.
Peach leaf curl can affect apricots but fortunately so far it hasn't and one or two (literally) fruits are continuing to swell
One or two will be just fine but we really need to sort something out for the peach and nectarine. The peach fruited in its first year and the fruits were delicious. We had such hope for it and now a repeat performance seems unlikely.